Wednesday, July 3, 2013

July 1, 2013: The Call

While I was playing in the Chapter Championships, Minda was assigned to call the USGA and ask if I became the 1st national alternate if I could arrive at the Championship and play practice rounds in case I got in late in the week.  She did that around 7:15 and received no for an answer.  Only championship participants can play practice rounds.

Not more than 10 minutes later a call from the USGA arrived informing Minda that a spot opened up for me in the championship!  When the winner of the AT&T Championship wasn't at least 50 then the spot for me opened up.

Minda then set about making travel arrangements: plane flights for Connor and I, changing the hotel reservations to the players' hotel, completing the player registration (she considered allowing me the pleasure of that task but felt it should be done sooner rather than later) and receiving the Player Memorandum (14 pages of information).

You know you are in a different world when questions regarding travel arrangements include your private plane's description and tail number.  They also wanted to know if my swing coach would be coming ( yes he is and it's me) or my agent.

There are some great perks: Lexus courtesy car, breakfast and lunch available daily,  family passes that allow family members meals as well, four additional passes, 15% discount in the merchandise shop (this might be my biggest expense - gifts). 

With Minda coming in Wednesday she will miss the spouses' event on Tuesday to Borsheims Fine Jewelry, 62,500 sq. feet of sparkle.

My parents are also coming to watch.  They will fly in on Wednesday as well.

My friend Dan, a Littleton, CO resident, is thinking of coming to watch.  It is about an 8 hour drive.

Connor will have to register as a caddy.  But he gets dual privileges with a caddy pass and family pass.

Sent e-mails this evening to the Nike rep for clothes for Connor and me that will deal with the heat and humidity of Nebraska summers and Tour Edge about some different clubs that will help.

1 comment:

  1. Kevin...CONGRATS! Play well, have fun and enjoy the experience. We'll all be rooting for you. - Rob Locati

    ReplyDelete