Friday, July 12, 2013

July 12, 2013: Not to be

Again it is late.  So I will do a short recap of today's round and go into detail about both rounds tomorrow.

A little nervous last night and this morning, but once I arrived at the course I felt comfortable.  Much warmer and windy. Saw Duffy and told him "just like playing in the Santa Anas".

After a birdie on #2, the par-3's happened, +6 on the five par-3's. I had a difficult time determining the correct shot to play calculating the effect of wind and elevation to create the proper shot selection and be committed to a shot.  And when I finally did that on the final par-3 I three putted being too aggressive.

Despite the troubles on the front and starting the back with two bogeys and missing a short birdie putt on #13, I had a chance to make the cut with three holes to play. But that three putt bogey on #16 and the only really poor drive on #17 that lead to another bogey required an eagle on #18 to make the cut.  I did hit a great 2 hybrid to within 12 feet, it got on TV.

Thanks to everyone - current friends, new friend, old friends and rediscovered friends - who have been watching, reading, praying, and rooting for me.  You have been a big part of making this a great week.

Despite the disappointment of missing the cut after yesterday's great round.  That round was the best round of my life, one I will be able recall each shot for the rest of my life.

Minda asked me tonight my favorite moment of the week.  It was making a four foot left to right curler on my last hole yesterday to post a red number in a major.

I will write a lot more tomorrow on our way home with a three hour lay over in Denver.

2 comments:

  1. We're still real proud of you and thank you for bringing us to Omaha with you and sharing your experience through this blog.

    2014 isn't too far away and you've shown that you can hang with the big boys...there are plenty of tour pros who had worse days than you.

    Lloyd and Julie Langdon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,
    What a great accomplishment. Very proud of you and impressed by the incredible first round score. Thanks for sharing your experiences and representing Camas and SW Washington so well!
    Congratulations!
    Brad Gillespie (and everyone at Gillespie Dentistry)

    ReplyDelete