Friday, July 5, 2013

July 4, 2013: Did it Just Get Easier to Make the Cut?

The original exempt player list for the Senior Open contained 78 names, half the field.  The other half would come from the qualifying sites, slightly more than the 74 qualifiers for the US Open.

Four previously exempt players for the Senior Open have since withdrawn, Olin Browne, Craig Stadler, Nick Price and  Allen Doyle.  So that means there are 82 qualifiers in the field, about 53% of the field.  60 players and ties make the cut, about 38.5%.  So as more of the regular Champions Tour players drop out, does making the cut become easier because the quality of players is a little weaker?  It would seem so, every so slightly.

Worked today until about 2 pm.  Hit balls with the even numbered clubs, and then headed to the back nine at GMGC.  A good strong wind blowing, fired 2 under par 34 with three additional birdie chances where I hit good putts that didn't go in.

What I got out of today's round was more confidence in bunker play with the clubface laid open.  On #11 with the pin back right I hit my tee shot in the right bunker.  With a mound in front of me and the green sloping away, a high lofted shot is required to get the ball anywhere near the hole.  I laid the face way open and holed the shot.  On 18 with the pin in the very front and very left, my second shot lay in the bunker short and left of the green.  Again with little green to work with and significantly above me I was able to hit the shot within 8 feet.

Friday is the last work day before heading to Omaha.  My new clubs should arrive from Tour Edge, so I will practice with them and play nine more.

Weather for the week is currently forecast for upper 80's and low 90's.  Sounds like the Midwest in the summer.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, Kevin. We're praying for long and straight and in under each hole every day!
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin -- We are so very excited and thrilled beyond words for you. Based on the story we read about what lead up to your qualifying and your recent 4 July play herein, you are clearly on fire. It was so fun to see you on the 4th with your clubs heading to the back nine for play as we were coming in; more so now that we realize why! Oh teacher, my teacher, go kick some butt. Monica and Randy Spencer

    ReplyDelete