Thursday, July 11, 2013

July 11, 2013: Red Numbers in a Major!

What an incredible day!  This was the round of my life. One under par 69 in a major championship and tied for the lead after 13 holes.

Without going into shot by shot details, for it is 10:30, keys to this round were:
  • Score to par on fairways missed - +1
  • Score on par-3's (four of the five par-3's required a 4-iron) - +1 because of at three putt.
  • Sand Saves - 2 for 2 (obviously leading the field)
  • No matter how low is was, I concentrated on making good shots for me.
There was many times where my thoughts wandered to answers to interview questions and other thoughts away from the shot at hand.  When they arrived I would close my eyes and shake my head to get them out.

My shortest birdie putt made was no shorter than 15 feet.  Always worked for the center of the green and rarely at the pin unless it was in the middle.  Made two great up and downs on 8, the hardest hole on the course today, and 9, either second or third hardest. to preserve red numbers.

Short game shots are much easier when bogey is ok.

When I finished Minda found me before I entered the scoring area and gave me a big hug and I was shaking.  When I found Dan, Patti, my parents after the round and my Dad gave me a hug I lost it.

After a leisurely lunch, went to the merchandise tent, walking all the way back up past the 18th tee.

Back to the hotel to rest, watch some of the tournament. And went to the Omaha Storm Chasers game where Manny Ramirez played for the visitors and an Omaha pitcher struck out the side on nine pitches.

Same approach tomorrow, play my game, hit good shots for me and I will play on the weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Such an amazing day. Many great moments. One favorite: Connor says to me "did you know your husband is tied with Kenny Perry?".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Kevin. We're all rooting for you here in The Couv.
    Lloyd , Julie, Gregg and Karen - get golf ready students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome day Kevin! We enjoy reading about your exciting journey. Have a good round on Friday and don't forget to tip your caddy.

    ReplyDelete