Sunday, July 7, 2013

July 6, 2013: The Joys of Travel, Starting Times are Posted

Portland to Chicago to Omaha to arrive by 10:30 pm.  Hoping all goes well getting the courtesy car.

But it is not starting well as an outside light on the plane is out and needs to be replaced.  This is discovered before us "B groupers" have boarded.  But I am glad I am not on the plane as lots of young, most likely impatient, children boarded just before the problem was discovered.

We finally depart about an hour and 15 minutes late.  We had a two hour layover, so there will be no problem with our connection.  A smooth ride to Chicago.  I notice the gray haze in the air as we fly over the mid West, the sign of high humidity.

In the Chicago-Midway Airport I receive a text from Minda that the starting times are out.  I am paired with two amateurs, one from Colorado just got in yesterday when Brad Bryant WDs.  I like my times.  Thursday's time, 8:34, allows for plenty of time to have breakfast on-site and an hour of warm-up.  Friday's time, 2:19, might run into delays if weather develops in the afternoon.  I am also glad to be playing with two people I don't know, can focus on my game.  I was kind of worried if the USGA would put us three UOP teammates together - me, Jeff Brehaut and Jeff Wilson. With Wilson's experience in USGA events and Brehaut's status as a Champions Tour member, they got paired with better players.  Kenny Perry is in the group directly ahead of me, so crowds should be out of our way by the time we play our shots.

Arrive in Omaha about 15 minutes early.  The tournament's transportation desk is easy to find.  I get a Lexus crossover vehicle.  No key.  All the doors open by remote control and push button starting.

The Hilton is downtown behind centerfield of TD Ameritrade Park where the College World Series is played and across the street from Century Link Center.  We get in the area and traffic is bad, for only a couple blocks, because a Justin Bieber concert had just concluded.

Get checked in a open the room door to discover only one king bed, not two queens.  Call the front desk and they say with the concert and a Church of God group in the hotel, rooms with two queens are not available for the night, but we can switch tomorrow.  Did that get mentioned when I checked in? Of course not!

Tried to write this in the room, but internet connection cost $10 per day.  It is free on the first floor, so I wait until Sunday morning to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment