Monday, July 1, 2013

June 28, 2013: Confident I will play


The final qualifying produced 4 additional qualifiers, leaving 3 spots still available, based on my calculations.
Called the USGA today and finally spoke with someone in Championships.  Oregon’s alternate was fourth on the alternate list to get in.  The USGA has gone through two alternates, leaving me currently as the 2nd alternate nationally.  I was told the USGA is still holding spots for otherwise unqualified players who win a Champions Tour event.  There are two Champion Tour events left before the Open. So it seems I will play, but may not officially know until the Sunday before championship week.  A very last minute deal, and expensive for flights.
I was told to call Tuesday for an update.  But conversations this afternoon have me leaning to booking airfare and hotel now.  If I am first alternate once tournament week rolls around, can I show up on Monday of tournament week, play practice rounds in the event someone drops out?  Then I am there and ready to play.
With the Chapter Championships on Monday, I really don’t want any kind of answer, especially yes.  If I was told I was going, it would be difficult to concentrate on the task at hand.
I have asked Minda to call the USGA on Monday and ask them my first alternate scenario.
Did some more pitching practice today.  After a 11 hour day and the heat, there is no way I could hit balls, so pitching keeps me swinging and is something that could show improvement with just a little practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment