Monday, July 1, 2013

June 25, 2103: No Sleep


Hardly slept last night too excited and nervous, thinking about all that I would do while there and what would be needed to prepare.  Down to getting clothes that would be better in 90 degrees and 90% humidity.
Called the USGA to find out the procedure on how they notify the alternates, left a message but no return call.
Chuck Milne called me today to congratulate me, saying that I will get in.
Howie Smith, who was the starter and who once worked for me at GMGC, sent a congratulatory e-mail and told all our mutual friends.
I looked at the qualifiers, and I recognized 11 of them: Jeff Wilson and Jeff Brehaut from UOP, Steve Pate (played with him at Mission Viejo in a Golden State Tour Event when I shot 32 on the back nine), his brother John who I played with in some Southern California amateur events, Vic Wilk ( I remember staying at the same house for a junior tournament at Los Coyotes and he had root beer and donuts for breakfast and I think went on to win the event), Jeff Hart and Bruce Nakamura from San Diego, Greg Bruckner and Jim Carter from college competition.
When I qualified for the Jr. Am and US Am I felt I belonged.  I was practicing and playing all the time, and doing well.  I was striving for a career playing golf and felt comfortable playing with that competition and confident in my abilities to play well.  But now, not so much.  I don’t practice, play only local events, never win local senior pro-ams on easy short golf courses.  And occasionally I put a good round together and win a few dollars, but nothing significant.
One of the things I learned on Monday was the meaning of being “in the moment”.  What I concerned myself with on Monday was focusing on making a good swing and a good shot regardless of possible consequences.  That particularly worked with putting. It allowed me to commit to the stroke without worrying about the consequences.  I took the attitude that my life didn’t depend upon it, which it doesn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment