Monday, July 1, 2013

June 30, 2013: Soccer Championship, Baseball, and a little practice

A family sports day today: two soccer games for Julia and baseball for Connor. 

Julia and her team, Washington Timbers GU14 Reds, won the 2013 Clash at the Border tournament winning there two games, their 4th and 5th games in three days.  Julia plays goalkeeper.  Only one goal scored against her team in the five games, on a free kick.  Her team's defense is very good, and she really hasn't been tested much, but she has been good when they have needed her.

Connor had two baseball games against a Senior Babe Ruth team from Hoquiam.  We were watching Julia's championship game during the first game, where Connor's team got killed 18-7.  In the second game Hoquiam jumped out to a lead, Connor's team took the lead, and the game was tied at 11.  Earlier Connor had driven in the go ahead run, only to have the game tied again.  In the bottom of the 7th, the winning run was on second with Connor at the plate and he delivered the game winner on an ground ball between the 1st and 2nd baseman.

After returning home from the baseball game, went to GMGC to hit a few balls, mostly with the driver.  It seems like good swings are always hitting the ball right.  I think it is because I want a higher trajectory than my 10.5 degree driver gives me with a good swing.  So I hang back, or play the ball too far forward to get my desired trajectory.  This, plus information from a Bridgestone Ball Fitting, leads me to believe I need a higher lofted driver.  When I played in the PNWPGA Senior Players Championship back in April, I drove the ball very well. But really haven't done so since.

I also think that I am closing my shoulders at address, also in attempts to get the ball in the air.  So during this practice session I don't adjust my shoulders after squaring my feet and it seems to help me hit the driver at or near the target.  That will work for the Chapter Championships tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment