Tuesday, July 9, 2013

July 9, 2013: A Round with an Old Friend and Some Press

Got some press from three places today.

A story focused on my UOP teammates Jeff Brehaut and Jeff Wilson, mentions me late in the article. Our local paper, Camas-Washougal Post Record, ran a full version of this web preview today.  And a quick mention in The Columbian Community Sports page.

I also received from e-mails from some old friends from my El Caballero days.  Rich Greenwood, now a golf professional in So Cal, and David Solomon, Morris Hatalsky's nephew.

In watching tour events I have always wondered how I would handle teeing off so late.  Today I got a little taste with a 2:40 starting time.  Slept a little late for me, you know 7 am, hit the laundry, watch the end of Extremely Loud, Incredibly Close, and finally head to the course about 11:30 for lunch. Had a leisurely lunch and talked with a couple amateurs from Atlanta who wondered why pros get $1k for posting a 36 hole score, while they get nothing when the rules would allow them to win $750 in gift certificates.  Money that could be sent to their home clubs.

Hit the range, where I shake Duffy Waldorf's hand in the middle of a short game lesson, to practice pitch shots out of the three cuts of grass and wedge shots from 50 to 120 yards.  These are key shots to my success.  Don't want to hit balls because the heat is so overwhelming that I don't want to waste energy.

I am glad to play with Duffy today.  It may have been since the 1980 Calabasas Park Country Club Junior Club Championship since I played with him.  My maternal grandparents were big fans of his.  He signed a hat for my grandmother's 85 Birthday when he played in the Tournament of Champions at La Costa one year.

Also in our group is James Camaione, an amateur from Upland, CA who knows Duffy well.  He is very funny.  Duffy still hits it long.  On the first hole I have hit a PW from 120 while Duffy has about 70 yards. On the second hole, a 540 par-5, he hits a hybrid out of a fairway bunker to the middle of the green.  As I told the spectators on the first tee, that is the difference between a tour pro and a club pro.

We talked a little discussing course strategy and general game strategy.  Did a little family catch up.  But the heat really made the end of the round difficult.  The heat index was reported to be around 110.  Drank much more water today.  Connor called the round grueling.  Here are some pictures:

Played ok tee to green today, didn't really try to putt on the greens.  Trying to reinforce what the correct shots are, particularly into the par-3's.  The front nine is fairly straight forward, the back is trickier: even more elevation issues and longer shots into the par 4's.  I barely reached the 18th fairway today with a slightly missed tee shot.

Met the cousin of my friend, Dan Crilley's, wife Nancy.  She is also trying to convince him to come and bring his son Eric.  They will decide tomorrow and drive from Denver.

Tomorrow just nine holes, the back nine.  Giving up a chance to play with Corey Pavin to do so.

Meet two gentlemen from Del Paso Country Club in Sacramento, CA, site of the 2015 Senior Open.  I introduced myself and told them my paternal grandfather belonged there and that I played junior golf there when I was 8.  They were very excited.  It would be great to play there in this event.

Mom, Dad, and Minda fly in tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Have you considered an EnduraCool Towel? You can get them at Lowe's. Check it out on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of that, but didn't take the time to find it. Fortunately the weather cools off for the rest of the week.

      Delete