Monday, July 1, 2013

July 1, 2013: Oregon Chapter PGA Championships

36-holes today back at Willamette Valley Country Club.  The course set up will be easier, mostly shorter, than the qualifying last week.

First round was a struggle off the tee with both the driver and three wood.  Hit 12 greens, had 33 putts for a 75.  Hit so many good putts with great speed that just wouldn't take that last break into the hole.  The only difference between this round and the qualifying round was the lack of four birdies.  But I am putting well, so I feel that they will start to drop in round two.

A nice lunch and then back out to the practice tee to figure out how to hit the tee ball.  I also think ball position has something to do with my accuracy.  So I took out the alignment sticks.  And of course I hit it well on the range.  And the first tee shot I hit is beautiful high slight draw that leads to a birdie on the shortest par-5 on the course.

The next tee shot with the 3-wood is hit well, but fails to draw and leaves me blocked out to a shot at the green.  A good 2-iron off the 17th tee, has me encouraged. But a big push on 18 and I loose confidence.  An ok 3-wood on #1, and good 3-woods on 2 and 4 are nice, but I start to loose focus and find the bogey train.  And an awful driver swing on the long par-5 6th leads to a double.  A birdie on 7 and I am feeling good back at 4-over.  But a mental miss of a very short par on 8 and another bogey on 9 does me in.  The final three tee shots, two 3-woods and a driver, are all in the fairway.

One of my afternoon playing partners tells me that Tour Edge, the equipment I use, has an 11.5 degree club with a fairway wood profile.  I have disliked the modern high profile drivers and would be so happy if this club is the answer to my driver problems.

I post my second round 78 and call Minda.  And she tells me I am going to Omaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment